I’ve been supporting a project for some time now using SharePoint and K2 BlackPearl. I came onto the project after 1 major and 4 minor releases. Since that time I’ve touched all of the code, and most of the architecture. However, there are still some lingering ghosts to give me problems (as well as new ones all my own).
I’ve been using K2 through Visual Studio, but today I was working with a team member and he was showing me the browser-based workflow editor. It was pretty cool, but it didn’t have all of the features I needed. I decided to deploy a workflow anyway just so I could have the full experience. The workflow authoring was straightforward and I went to deploy the workflow, and got the following error message.
SmartObjectServer Exception: Error HRESULT E_FAIL has been returned from a call to a COM component.
Not .. so .. good. I tried a couple more times, the error didn’t change. I couldn’t blame this on network issues. I looked at the Application log and saw that MSDTC was throwing errors about another network registration with the same ID. I uninstalled and reinstalled MSDTC with the following commands, and everything is working wonderfully now.
- Open a command window
- msdtc -uninstall
- reboot server
- msdtc -install